This is a favorite low-fat meal that allows me to watch my carb intake, but can totally be served with tortillas for those that want it in your family. We usually use what we have on hand and the recipe changes slightly each time, but give it a try the way you might like it!
1 1/4 lbs. ground turkey
1 cup onions; diced
1-15 oz. can black beans; drained, rinsed
1 cup frozen corn (or canned)
1-15 oz. can diced tomatoes
4 oz. tomato sauce (or salsa!)
1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
2 cloves garlic; minced/grated
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Leaves of lettuce (Baby Romaine, Bibb, Butter)
Salt/pepper; to taste
*Toppings: Shredded cheese, low-fat sour cream, guacamole, etc.
1. Add the olive oil to a heated pan on medium-high.
2. Cook the onions for 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to soften.
3. Add the garlic and the turkey (or meat of choice) and cook on one side for 2 minutes.
4. Sprinkle the meat with the taco seasoning, mix well and allow the turkey and onions to cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add the corn, canned tomatoes, and tomato sauce, mix well.
6. Continue to cook until the turkey is done through, about 5 minutes.
7. Taste for seasoning; add salt and pepper, more taco seasoning if needed.
8. Gently fold in the black beans and heat through.
9. Spoon onto washed/dried lettuce leaves; serve.
Garnish with the optional toppings. *